Friends taking a look at the blog!

1/03/2011

This season is over - now what.

                When we lived in Missouri,  I was asked to become a water aerobic instructor and thought: this is what I am going to do for the rest of my life.  I loved it! I would say all the time, “I don’t know what I would do if I didn't get paid to exercise!” I met the most wonderful people and really did see them transform before my eyes. What a wonderful feeling to know you helped someone achieve their goals. When we moved to Florida, I jumped at the chance to teach water aerobics in several different locations throughout the area.  I was noticing that it wasn't as much fun as I wanted it to be. I remember one time, I was asked to do water walking at a very elite country club twice a week.  The pay was great for only a couple of hours of work. But when I got there, I was met with these stuck up women who wanted me to strap on their water-belts for them, play music they wanted to hear and have their towels ready when they were done. Being the trooper I was, I thought that this is going to be a challenge and I’m up for it! Think again. I lasted only 4 classes and told the director, “good luck with these ladies, I’m outta here.”  I was always brought up to, not give up, don’t quit and don’t rock the boat.  I remember thinking, I can make this fun again and Lord knows I tried. 

          I got to work one day and I put my toe in the water and I would swear it was like putting it in battery acid. I was so repulsed by it. I went home that day and cried. I had spoken to my sister who said that “maybe your season with teaching is over.” Her words puzzled me but when I really thought about it, she was right. I had to give myself permission to let go of teaching water aerobics and move on to the next chapter of my life. It is so scary to say out loud what you want to do in fear that someone will make fun or discourage you. Have you had that happen? Easier to not try and go on status quo? That’s sad. 

     My friend Jo asked me if I wanted to become her assistant in her real estate office. I thought that would be great until she said I had to go get my license first. No problem, I thought. After the second night of class, it was clear - I’m in this for me. Sorry Jo, I’m doing this to become a Real Estate agent. I did end up in her office as her fellow agent, not her assistant. I loved real estate in helping people buy or sell their property. Yes, people are funny, strange, rude, wonderful and most of the time - it is all that wrapped up in one. But, recently I am having the toe in the water feeling and even though I would never give up my license, I have decided to go another route and work with Jo and pursue my dream of writing. It is the scariest feeling to say it out loud but also the most exhilarating feeling to put it out there and try.  Yes - try. 

    Please, as this new year is upon us, try. Try to become the person you want to be. Try new things that you thought were unattainable. Try to get out of your box. Yes, there will be times that you fail, but isn’t it those times we learn from and move forward? Don’t listen to naysayer’s, they're to scared to try and they don’t want you to succeed. Don’t call that person who makes you feel guilty because you are trying something new, they’ll bring you down too. Go out there today, yes today and try something new. I would love to hear what you did as  I would consider it a huge miracle/blessing to me! Ton o’ blessings to you until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment