Friends taking a look at the blog!

1/10/2011

Great expectations equals WTH (What The Heck) outcomes.

                 True story.  Our expectations at the time of the birth of our second son was  God has blessed us with two healthy boys and we were done. I was working as a water aerobic instructor at the time and life was going along swimmingly (no pun intended.) I noticed I gained four pounds and I was going to work out my class so that we all lose those four pounds.  What I didn't know was that I was nine weeks pregnant! It was a shock as it was difficult to conceive our second son with months of disappointing results until I did finally became pregnant, so this was a big surprise.  In private I questioned God - why. Why now and why did I have to go through what I went through to get our second son. Looking back, I don’t think I handled the situation well and vowed to learn from it. 

                 I  had gone to doctors and it was the day of the sonogram. My husband (Bill) did NOT want to know the sex of the baby and me being the control freak absolutely wanted to know. That visit, the doctor said she was sorry but the way the baby was laying, she could not tell. I had gone to several visits where the doctor had given me sonograms and one day, she said (and I quote) “I am 98 %  sure you are going to have another boy.” To be honest, the legs were not “spread eagle” where it would have been obvious but I’m not a doctor so I believed her. I felt bad for Bill as he kept saying he wanted a little girl and I was saying to myself, “sorry but it’s little “Joseph Anthony.”

                      Months went by and it was time to go to the hospital. I was in labor and my doctor had said it was OK to push. One push - out came the head. The doctor then said “She is so beautiful!” She? What? It’s only a head. Bill was so excited. I was so mad that the doctor would lead him on like that. Push number 2, shoulders out. Again with the “she is coming quickly!” At this point, I am staring back over the sheet and saying “um....doctor....what are you talking about?” Then I pushed a couple of times more and push number six - out the baby came. The doctor beamed as the cord was still attached and she took the baby upside down and said “it’s a girl!” Bill was flying around the room ecstatic with tears of joy and everyone was smiling and laughing but me. I calmly said “no it’s not, you better find a pee pee and find it now.” I expected “Joseph Anthony” and out came Maria Jean! Truly I was shocked (again.) Please don’t get me wrong, she was beautiful and healthy and what more could I want but, having two boys already, boys clothes, Tonka trucks, you get the picture. I was holding Maria and I said to her “I don’t have anything pink at home, no Barbie dolls or ribbons and I have no idea how to take care of a baby girl!” She just smiled back and I knew it was going to be OK. It was a learning process those first few weeks and I now know why God blessed me with her as there is no better feeling than seeing your daughter grow into a beautiful young woman, that and we love to go shopping together!  I love when people say we look alike as in the picture below which was taken three years ago!



                       This was my high school graduation picture and I had Maria hold it up to her face and I said, “I’ve got to take this picture.” I’m glad I did and I treasure it. Next blog, the expectation of your first born off to college. Boy I wish someone would have told me……….  Ton o’ blessings to you until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment